Sunday, April 25, 2010

goodbye, ol' buddy

oh wow. i forgot that i had started blogging until i saw on a friend-of-a-friend's facebook page that they had listed their blog page as a website on their page. did i mention that i have no short term memory? it's true. my longterm memory is phenomenal; i can tell you who came to my 8th birthday party, what i wore, and what movies we watched, but i couldn't tell you what i ate for lunch yesterday. but anyway....what was i saying? oh, yes...i had forgotten that i started blogging. so i thought i'd start writing again, and try to make it a regular thing.

most notably, we just lost pitino this past week. he was killed wednesday, and my whole world came to a screeching halt. isn't it amazing how pets can become family? for those who do not have, or have never had a family pet, you probably can't understand that. it's like, "aw, really? i'm sorry." i mean, this wasn't a goldfish that i won at the carnival. it was a dog that i had to feed and bathe, who curled up under my feet whenever i stood at the sink to wash dishes or brush my teeth. my baby, who slept on my feet every night. not that you can't get attached to, er, a goldfish. but i think you get the point. and honestly, when we first bought him, i had no idea how much of my "child" he would actually become. i seriously had to take 1/2 day of leave from work wednesday morning because i was an emotional trainwreck. i would've taken the entire day, but being at my parents' house wasn't making things any easier. i just stared like a zombie at his freshly dug grave with the dogwood blossoms scattered across the top and cried like a baby. and all of my coworkers, my friends, were so very kind and supportive.

so i've been sleeping every night with a stuffed animal pug of madelyn's. yes, it's pathetic, but i don't care. it has helped fill the void of not having a dog at the foot of my bed. and my husband, distraught that his wife has been a weepy mess for the past 4 days, has been researching "pugs for sale" in the clarksville area and we actually go meet with a lady in cadiz today. i don't know if we'll get one, but we are going to look, nonetheless. i'm nervous for some reason...is it too soon? will pitino understand that we aren't replacing him, but rather we are just so saddened by our loss that we want to carry on his memory with a pet that is so much like him? so that we can be reminded of him? ok, so maybe i'm a complete wacko...but you "pet people" understand...right??

No comments:

Post a Comment