Sunday, April 25, 2010

hey there delilah

i'm not going to say that my husband isn't a romantic. or that he's never done anything sweet or spontaneous. but over the past week, he's probably been more thoughtful, patient, and compassionate than he has been in the 8 years that i've known him.

i've already said that i'm extremely emotional. i cry at situations that are obviously sad, such as funerals. i've teared up during church services numerous times, moved by a message or a song. but i also cry at things like movies that aren't even meant to be sad, or at the occasional publix commercial (yeah, don't ask). so my husband, brian, has grown accustomed to me bursting into tears without notice. and he usually laughs or rolls his eyes. but when our dog died, he knew how deeply i hurt, and he didn't laugh or roll his eyes at how unbelievably miserable i was. he was patient and understanding, which meant more to me than anything he has done in a long time.

at first, he was going to surprise me. but for whatever reason, he decided to talk to me first. actually, before talking to me, he talked to my mom. he told her that he was worried about me because i really seemed to be taking pitino's death hard, and that he just wanted to see me happy. he couldn't stand seeing his wife this way.

and now, as of around 5:30 p.m. this afternoon, i am the happy owner of delilah, an 11-week old pug. the girls already adore her, although we debated for hours on a name, and ella is a bit confused as to whether or not she is actually pitino raised from the dead or just a look-alike. madelyn is just excited that we got a girl that we can dress up in bows and tu-tu's. and me? i'm excited to have a dog in the house again--4 days was long enough to know that i am apparently one of those "dog people" who needs to have a 4-legged family member in order to be truly satisfied. she's not pitino, nor do i want her to be, nor will i try to mold her into being. but she's a sweetie, has her own playful personality which is already evident, licks my face, and is snoring in my lap as we speak. just as you cannot (or at least should not) compare kids, the same goes for pets. so delilah, welcome to your first night as a "roberts". we hope you love it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment